Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bagged Salad

My sister-in-law makes the most phenomenal salads. It's her "thing," what people always ask her to bring or assume she will make. I've always been known for my desserts, but one day my sister-in-law generously told me all her salad making secrets. I now can hold my own with lettuce, and proudly sit at the right-hand side of her salad bowl.

Eat the Rainbow
(I'm aware my pictures are painfully small. That will change w/ the new blog. For now, please click the image to enlarge.)

Last night I made a salad for dinner. Grilled, marinated chicken, lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and a simple, homemade dressing (I have yet to find a bottled dressing I like). I stood there for a minute debating whether to rinse of the leaves from my salad mix before I tossed them in the bowl. I've learned from various sources, including the CDC, that you can rinse to refresh but not clean. No amount of dunking and diving in your sink is going to remove the vestiges of cow patty run-off water.

So that got me thinking: how many of you rinse your bagged lettuce before eating it?
I want to hear whether you do or you don't, and because this topic is so very scintillating, feel free to post anonymously. ;)