Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Weigh What?! or, My Head is Going to Explode.

I am on day three of a migraine. I woke up at 3:30am and drank some water hoping I was just dehydrated. Wrong. I woke up again at 5:00am and begged the Mister to get me a pain reliever and an ice bag. With all my ulcers, all I'm allowed to have is Tylenol. Um, that doesn't do much. I eventually drifted off to sleep and woke up 30 minutes before I had to drop Mikey off at school. Ugh. At least now I am feeling a bit better. Nauseous, but better.

I know most of this comes from my diet. I've been under a lot of stress lately, and my diet has suffered. I got in a bad habit of drinking diet coke again, which (for me) is a big migraine trigger. So why drink it? Because it is so flippin' delicious I can't even stand it. It's also my only source of caffeine on mornings after sleepless nights.

Diet coke also does something to my appetite. I get hungrier than usual and crave crap. So, along with diet coke I've been eating a lot of fast food. Consequently, I weigh as much now as I did when I was studying for the bar. Not good.

So, what am I going to do? I'm going to start off by drinking a 16oz green smoothie everyday starting Friday. Do any of you read The Happy Foody? She's on my blogroll (the one I have yet to update) and I recommend you check her out. Anyway, in February she hosted a green smoothie challenge that I pointedly ignored. I was able to dig deep with a few good excuses and never participated. Now I regret it, because it would have been nice to do this with a community of participants. Oh well, my bad. I'm going to start tomorrow. Check out her blog for testimonials of people who have just finished the challenge. Her rules for the challenge were pretty simple.


  • Drink a 16 oz. of green smoothie each day…preferably for breakfast. I HIGHLY recommend getting the book “Green For Life” by Victoria Boutenko. It’s a quick read and it has lots of yummy smoothie recipes in it. Check out her website too!
The Happy Foody: The Happy Foody Green Smoothie Challenge (Feb. 13, 2008)


Anyway, that's what I'm doing. My goal is to lose weight and not have a headache for 30 days. In addition to my regular posts, I'm going to use my blog as a log of sorts to track my intake and recipes. I hope you don't mind! I'm also encouraging anyone who wants to join me to leave a comment or send me an email. Oh, and wish me luck! I'll definitely need that, too.

So, have any of you taken steps to improve your health this year? Have any of you improved a medical condition or lost a good deal of weight? Tell me all about it. I love success stories, even when they aren't mine.