Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What Would You Do?

Tax season is around the corner and, for some of us, this means tax refunds. Do you use your refund responsibly or frivolously?

My mom is talking about a summer trip to Buenos Aires for my grandmother's 87th birthday. Tickets for me, the boys, and The Mister will total over $5,000 (not including accommodations). Here's the rub: we don't have $5,000. We will, hopefully, receive a sizable tax return this year that until today was earmarked to pay off the remaining balance on our car loan. I also have those nasty law school loans hanging over my head. Of course, I want to drop $5,000 on a trip to Argentina before I pay off my car loan, but losing that car loan and a few other trivial debts would sure make things easier every month.

I don't think visiting my 87 year old grandmother is frivolous, but I can't help but feel guilty.