Friday, January 25, 2008

Favorite Moment

I've noticed an interesting trend on my visitor stats for the blog. The "Favorite Moment" feature is consistently the most popular. That doesn't say much, but still. Quite a number of you have picked up on my crack-pot routine and check the blog late Friday evening or Saturday morning. In just a few short months you all have learned I could never decide on my favorite moment before the 11th hour.

I actually enjoy deciding on my favorite moment. The process forces me to reflect back on the week and sift through moments I would probably forget were it not for this exercise. My favorite moments are hardly exciting because, quite simply, I lead an exceptionally dull life. To date, I have written about my hair, my dogs, my friends, my drink, and Mickey Mouse. Still, all 5 of you keep coming back and it's either because you keep hoping I'll write about something exciting (I won't) or you, too, appreciate the fulfillment found at 2:37pm on Tuesday when a stranger steps out of line to carry your items to the register just so you can weave your 32 ft long double stroller through the slalom course of sale rounders. (Thanks, 7ft tall African American man at Aaron Brothers! You were freakishly tall and chewed maniacally on a powder-blue floss pick, but that little act of kindness made my day and you, sir, are my favorite moment this week.)

Group

So, I started thinking that it might be nice if all of us made a concerted effort to capture those little fragments in time that we would otherwise forget. William Lyon Phelps once wrote,

"One appreciates that daily life is really good when one wakes from a horrible dream, or when one takes the first outing after a sickness. Why not realize it now?"

Mr. Phelps, I do believe you are on to something. So, I started my very first public flickr group called Things I Hope to Never Forget. I am basically trying to catalog fleeting memories (good, bad, and indifferent). Anyone can join, so come on over and share your favorite moments. In the meantime, I'll try to organize it a bit better and send off some invitations to those of you in my email address book.

See you there!