Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Orange Glazed Hamburgers with Caramelized Onions

Carrie's challenge is up and running, and she's even created a flickr group to keep track of all the great recipes!

I don't have much of a recipe tonight. It's just me using up more of my oranges. I used regular frozen hamburger patties and just cooked up a quick glaze to give the burgers a bit more flavor. I'm warning you now: I could never write my own cookbook because I tend to just add things willy-nilly. Take my measurements as approximations.

Orange Glazed Hamburgers with Caramelized Onions

For the burgers
6 Hamburger patties, frozen (or homemade!)
Hamburger buns, homemade (or store bought!)
2 onions
Cheddar cheese
Condiments, to taste

For the glaze
5 oranges, juiced (approximately 1.5 cups)
1/4 Soy Sauce
2 TB Balsamic or Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TB Ketchup

1. Slice onions in half moons and caramelized in pan with 2 or so TB of olive oil. Set aside on a plate when done.

2. In the same pan you caramelized the onions, and without cleaning it, toss in all the ingredients for the glaze and reduce by half. It's done when it is syrupy and can coat the back of a spoon. Transfer to a bowl.

Orange Glaze

3. Place burgers on the grill and baste with the glaze. When burgers are done, discard the remaining sauce.

4. With the burgers still on the grill, add the cheddar cheese and toss on burger buns if you like them toasted.

5. Take burgers and buns off the grill and add condiments to taste.

I have to say, I don't like burgers but really enjoyed these. I served it with a light green salad and a baked potato. Super easy, and a great way to use up my oranges!

Orange Glazed Hamburger w/ Caramelized Onions