Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Cathe & Feterie Make Me Look Good

The Poem Company is one of those businesses people don't initially understand. Quite honestly, I even have trouble explaining it without rambling and using wild hand gestures like an American in Europe. The premise is pretty simple: I will write out in verse whatever you want to announce, whether it's a new marriage, new baby, or new house. I do the same for invitations. I don't, however, design around what I write. I would much rather write something and forward it on to your designer because I don't have the skills or tools to design anything on my own.

This is where the lovely Cathe from Feterie comes in. I have worked with her on several projects and I am always thrilled with the balance between her clean, modern aesthetic and my casual, somewhat sweet writing style.


(Ms. Cathe, peeking from behind some of her designs)

My favorite project so far is a birth announcement Cathe asked me write for a well travelled couple expecting their first child, a boy. The mother decorated the nursery with a "By Sea, By Air, By Land" nursery theme and wanted it to carry over to the announcement. This couple could not have picked a better suited theme for the nursery; they travel extensively and at every opportunity! They regularly spend time in Europe, Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, and Las Vegas, to name a few the their common hot spots. I knew immediately the direction I wanted to take, and the poem basically says that being at home with their new baby is the best vacation, by far. I sent it off to Ms. Cathe, and she designed this little beauty:


Isn't it fabulous? I adore the colors, naturally, but the Hawaiian Islands cartography kills me. So fantastic, and not your traditional baby announcement-- which is a good thing.

Cathe has a lot more in store this year. Her new shop, Feterie, is set to open this month and I am on pins and needles waiting to see what's behind those closed doors. I read her blog regularly, so I know to expect personalized wall art, coordinated wedding invitations and websites, and her always impeccable designs. But I can't help but wonder, what other bespoken lovelies does she have up her sleeve?