Monday, February 18, 2008

Technical Difficulties

I am having problems with one of my sites, The Poem Company. Seems I put my money where I shouldn't have, and the person hosting my site fell off the face of the earth and took my money and our sites with her. I fully intended to remove my site to a different location this year, but didn't. Lesson learned: always trust your instincts. I'm trying to remedy this situation as fast as possible, of course. I debated posting evidence of my stupidity for all the world to see, but I figured my lesson learned can be someone's lesson spared. Besides, you've already seen me without my makeup so it's not like I have much dignity left.

Looking on the bright side, this just reaffirms my commitment to learn how to develop and manage my own website. It's never good to have all your eggs in one basket, especially when it's someone else's basket. Besides, Nicole can vouch for the fact I am impossibly fickle. I'll spare future designers from my personality by learning how to do a few of these things on my own.

In the mean time, click on over to The Poem Company and enjoy the "HEY LOSER, PAY YOUR BILLS!" message on display for all my clients to see. I love it. Especially since this loser paid her hosting bill 6 months ago.

UPDATE: If my email inbox is any indication, I am not the only one with this problem. I did get in contact with my old designer. Turns out she didn't fall off the face of the earth--just the internet, along with a handful of other sites. She explained to me there was a server problem and has offered to transfer over my files to my new host--an offer I gladly accepted. It's time I learn to work the back end of my websites!