Friday, February 29, 2008

Favorite Moment

I went out tonight, with girlfriends, for the first time in over a year. I didn't want to go. When you are a stay at home mom, your home can often feel like your prison. And yet, when the opportunity to leave presents itself, you suddenly develop a case of Stockholm Syndrome and come up with all sorts of excuses for why you couldn't possibly leave. I did just that. In the end, I went out of obligation and ended up having a wonderful time. But the best part of the night? Walking through the door and seeing everything with the eyes of someone renewed. Refreshed. All of a sudden, as I walked through all the dimly lit rooms, I saw so many artifacts of mundane beauty that it all just took my breath away. I was like an archaeologist in a fertile field, delighted by treasures tossed haphazardly at my feet and eager to learn more about this place.

DSCF4003

This is a place where a row of bottles stand sentinel, waiting for their chubby fisted Commander in Chief to drink from them greedily while he doles out lopsided grins at you or The Wiggles--depending on who is more entertaining.

DSCF3998

A place where heroes exist and answer to the name Daddy. Or Buzz.

DSCF4008

A place where cars can talk.

DSCF4013

And children play.

DSCF3988

Until everyone is exhausted.

DSCF3982

And collapse in satisfied heaps.

DSCF3996

So it can all start again in the morning. How lucky am I? I get to call this place home.