Monday, March 24, 2008

Hey! What's the Big Idea?

Mikey loves to reenact his favorites scenes from movies, usually at the most inappropriate time. For a while he was on a Mary Poppins kick. There's one scene, in particular, that he loves. Jane and Michael Banks sing to their father, Mr. Banks, an advertisement they've written for a new nanny. Mr. Banks won't have anything to do with their request, and promptly tears it up into little pieces and tosses it into the fireplace. Here is the song leading up to Mr. Banks fireplace scene. I'm sure most of you remember it from childhood. My favorite part is at about 1:18. Mr. Banks expression is priceless, and one I use often.



Here is my fireplace after Mikey's stirring rendition of Mr. Bank's hissy fit following The Perfect Nanny song.

Mr. Banks

He's also imitated Stuart Little, The Peanut's Gang, Charlotte's Web, and the intervention scene in Finding Nemo--never good since this one is usually at school with some unwilling classmate playing the part of Bruce, the shark. His preferred source of inspiration comes from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. News flash: it's not Mickey Mouse. Nope, Mikey likes to imitate Donald Duck's classic line, "Hey! What's the big idea?" And if he says it in front of someone who, say, isn't well schooled in Disney dialog, I'm certain to be on the wrong end of all sorts of affronted looks.

What's that? You don't remember Donald's favorite line? Tsk. Tsk. Well, you're in luck! I have it right here in the form of a ring tone. Better listen to it fast, you know how Disney is about their characters and voices. I'm sure this website won't be offering this ring tone much longer.

I guarantee at some point in the following week you will look at someone and proclaim, "Hey! What's the big idea?" It's catchy, like a virus. Last week during the school Easter party, I was amazed to hear 6 miniature Donald Ducks (lead by Mikey, himself) wondering what the "big idea" was with the fruit salad I brought. "Keep up with that racket and next time I'm bringing you all some of Mikey's vegan cupcakes!" You could hear a pin drop.

Even I fell victim to Donald's favorite epithet on Easter Sunday, of all days. My stupid camera killed yet another card, only this time I hadn't downloaded my pictures. I only discovered this latest (4th!) malfunction as I was trying to photograph my sister-in-law's open-face tuna melt plate, which to my eyes looked like breasts. I tried to take a picture and wham! The white screen of death with a message that said This camera does not recognize the memory card. I lost all my pictures from Easter, and there were some good ones. I refuse to buy a 5th memory card, so I'm now saving my money for a Nikon or Canon SLR. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to borrow my mom's -0.75 mega-pixel camera and hope you all can make out the images.

Did you have a lovely Easter? Mine was fantastic. We visited my brothers in Marina del Rey. The weather was perfect, and for the first time in a long while Mikey was breathing easy. I'd show you pictures of the tuna breasts, boats, ocean, and boys in their matching Easter outfits, but, you know, I don't have any pictures to share because my camera sucks.