Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Well, well, well. (Pun not intended, but I'll take it.)

Looks like the one and only Dooce is going on Oprah's 21 day cleanse. The one I wrote about right HERE. I'll be following her progress with interest.

As for me? Blech. I weigh as much as I did when I was 9 months pregnant with Nicholas. ISN'T THAT FANTASTIC?! You're right; it's not. Whether I realize it or not, my late nights, little sleep, erratic eating, and junk food binges are catching up with me and pretty much amounts to a long, drawn out suicide. I would never treat my boys the way I treat myself, and yet here I am. I promised my mom last week (on day 7 of a migraine) that I would start taking better care of myself. Time to pony up.

I've been reading more and more books on nutrition, and am aboslutely inspired by everything Bronwyn Schweigerdt writes on her blog, Bean Diet. (Read her. She's great.) I emailed her today with some concerns about my unhealthy habits, and she provided me with motivation, scientific and divine, to move forward with a new attitude.

I am also in love with the book, The China Study. I think everyone should have it on their bookshelves. T. Colin Campbell, PhD. isn't selling a diet; he's reporting the results of numerous epidemiological studies in the field of nutrition. The bonus? Dr. Campbell actually holds a PhD in--wait for it--nutrition! And he's not a celebrity, unless you happen to be into epidemiologists over 60. Double bonus.

OK, so where does that leave me? Hopeful. I'm going to start by reducing drastically my consumption of animal products. I'm not doing Oprah's cleanse. It's too drastic a measure for me. I'll just eat how I did when I was at my thinnest and healthiest: lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Pretty simple, right? Not really, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If not for me, then for my boys. They deserve to run from their mother for at least 50 or more years.