Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Reading

I may read all year long, but I really pick up speed in the summer. Today Mikey and I spent the afternoon swimming in my parent's pool. We later lounged on chairs, and I read from The Pillars of the Earth while he ate banana cookies. It was a great, if not entirely productive, day.

And that brings me to the question at hand. We leave for vacation in about a week, and I plan to devote at least one suitcase to books. I haven't had the time to compile my summer reading list, unlike some more organized bloggers, but I do have some books already in mind.

I want to finish The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet.


Once I am done with that, I am going to dive into the new David Sedaris book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames.


But what next? I'm in need of a few good recommendations.

What are you reading this summer? I ask not only because I am curious, but because I might copy a few books from your list. I love religious themes and Latin American literature, but I'm open to anything except romance novels and hardcore chick-lit. I just can't read that type of book without wanting to crawl into the story and knock the main character off her pink stilettos. I am embarrassed to say I am unfamiliar with most American authors. I've been muddling my way through the classics for so long that I'm out of touch. That said, I do love John Irving, so I might read a few of his less well-received, earlier works (of course I've read The World According to Garp--it's one of my favorites).

OK, your turn. Are you up to helping me? :)