Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Where the Magic Happens

Or rather, where we scramble around at the last minute hoping to come up with something adequate.

We moved into this house three years ago this month. Since then, the Mister and I, two confirmed work-a-holics, have been without an office. Correction: we have a studio in the backyard with a floor and four walls. Here is what it looked like when we first moved in. As you can see from the above picture, I have had a torrid love affair with books my whole life. All those white boxes? Books. Some of them.

Before

About 6 months ago, the Mister put down laminate floor. We had someone else paint the room and do the electrical. We bought the desks right after the floor, paint and electrical thinking we would have the office by the following month. Not so much. We still haven't bought the bookshelves, and you already know I need the shelves.

In Progress

It's a pile of receipts, supplies, and two empty desks. We have been so busy the last few years that we haven't been able to devote a large chuck of time or money in order to finish the project. The good thing about dealing with the various succubuses I met on Craigslist is that we now have the money to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Who am I kidding? We don't even have lights. Now we can afford to buy them. The time issue we're just going to have to force, because the Mister and I can't stand to walk through this mess one more day on our way to the office.

Covered Patio

Now, don't judge us. It was, at one point, neatly organized. Unfortunately, two things happened during the last six months. We had bizarre wind storms during the month of January. Not much rain, but enough wind to make you search the sky for a witch and flying monkeys. The second thing to happen was, oh, I don't know, the BEAGLE SIZED HAWK that flew into the patio. Anyone remember my brush with the wild animal kingdom? Yeah. Well, Tweety bird decided to crash into every other box while he was visiting. After he left I just kind of pushed everything back up so it was barely falling and instead of almost falling.

Books

So now we are off to IKEA to buy some long needed shelving. Wish us luck and please do share you any great organization tips. In the spirit of spring cleaning, I'm going to get rid of over half my books. Maybe. Just not on Craigslist. God, not on Craigslist.