Monday, December 3, 2007

Pancakes & French Fries?

Yep.

I was 14 years old and staying the night at Kara's house. At around 2:00 am in the morning, still bushy tailed and bright eyed after a night of boy talk, movies, and Saturday Night Live, we decided to make ourselves a little snack. The problem? We couldn't decide if we wanted something sweet or something savory. Pancakes or French fries. Of course, at 14 years of age, that wasn't exactly a deterrent. No, instead we did what any enterprising teenage girls would do: we made both. At 2:00 am.

The next morning(ish) we had a bit of explaining to do (it takes a lot of dishes to make pancakes and French fries, especially when you don't really know what you are doing). The utter confusion our menu selection induced was just enough to deflect attention away from the grease and syrup stains peppering the kitchen. To this day that late night snack lives on in infamy with Kara's family.

So what does this have to do with my blog?

I've toyed with the idea of starting a blog for the better part of a year, but the thought of committing to one focus gave me the vapors. You hear it time and time again that great blogs have focus. Focus?! I usually skip lunch just to avoid the hassle of making a decision. Finally, though, I decided to be true to myself and write about whatever suits me. Every day (?! it's like I don't know my own self!) I'll try to write about nothing. Or everything. Just not something. Consider this blog an homage to the indecisive. Those creative individuals out there who love fashion, and design, and cooking, and art, and science, and math, and crafting and are looking for someone else out there who loves it all, too.

I guess if I had to sum it up, I like to think Pancakes & French Fries, the blog, is a bit like the story that inspired it's name. Spontaneous. Irreverent. A little bit sweet, a little bit savory. Like my life. Like your life.