Friday, July 18, 2008

Favorite Moment

I love it when a story comes first circle. This week I started off with the Petrie Dish Boarding Facility. They thought Buddy was sick, a humming, buck-toothed, cyclops was left in charge, and we came home from vacation early to find two healthy, pissed off dogs and almost $400 in boarding fees. Oh yeah, and an additional $136 in ER fees. Today I ended the week with none other than Petrie Dish Boarding.

When I answered my phone late this morning I decided, solely on the lack of nervous tics, I was not speaking with my usual contact. This person thought she was returning my call. Of course, that was not the case. I never make the first move! Curiously enough, she called the Mister at work instead of me. It appears my reputation precedes me, and she was trying to avoid speaking with me at all costs. The Mister, naturally, wanted no part in any of it and gave her the home number, my cell phone, all four of my emails, and my weekly schedule in case she wanted to catch me at Mikey's swim lesson.

Verdict: The owner decided to write off Buddy's boarding fee, and so our account is now clear.

Score one for the good guys! She decided this on Tuesday, which is the same day she turned over the boarding facility to a new owner. Did I make her sell her business? We'll never know, but according to the people who have argued with me in the past (my mother) it is possible. I didn't get a chance to speak with the owner; an administrative assistant delivered the news.

So that's it. Completely anticlimactic, and I can't help but feel a little guilty. Would our $175 gone towards the old owner's mortgage? Did she make enough money in the sale to feed all her cats? What does the future hold for her, and would our money have made a difference? I think I won fair and square, but I can't help but feel like it was taking candy from a baby.

Then again, $175 is a nice purse. Some good shoes. And, [gulp] not quite a law school loan payment.